Deleting the Past

Something bittersweet about a person throwing away pictures taken w/another. You remember those right? Actual pictures to be held in your hand? Those fitting into an album that you could flip through? I have plenty. I even have some framed that are no longer showcased. But never will I part w/them.

I know of a few people that firmly believe in that "out of sight, out of mind" phrase. I can say that even words trigger a memory unthought of in awhile. Perhaps I just cherished someone more than just their image.

Moving forward to our digital age. We got plenty of social networks that we share w/strangers. Pictures of where we've been, who we're w/... Then suddenly, a fall out occurs. Some people go out of their way & use their time to go back to a published picture of an amazing moment they felt & press delete. That's quite the hurt. Or maybe not. But you certainly must keep up an image right? Especially when someone new comes along. Can't have that other chick smiling for you as you took that picture & made her part of your collection. It's funny to think about. If you know BOTH parties & they were a thing or on the verge of it, you wonder, "Who deleted that picture first?" It's sad really. Ultimately, sharing a moment w/someone you don't naturally have w/EVERYONE, capturing it, then deleting it because you've found something better. What you've found NOW may be the greatest thing you have ever loved. But it didn't come easy, nor did it show up upon your first try. Why (try to) forget what you experienced?

"Don't forget where you came from," some say. Even if someone taught you ONE important lesson in life, the fact that it was one means you should forget that person's whole existence? Harsh, no?

Maybe I'm just different. I also tend to add more weight to a person I don't know very well. Funny how that works in my favor though. See, the more I get to know someone, the less value they hold. Incredible what a person will hold back in order for you to continue being in their lives.

I just couldn't imagine myself deleting the first 100 posts of this blog, let alone the pictures that I have taken! Just wouldn't. I felt how I felt for a reason. & at one point, it was good. So good. So why remember the bad? Why subconsciously hold onto the end(ing)?

I've been known to look at pictures from my past & feel my heart being pressed. It can be painful. Then again, I've always been stronger than most. & my own suffering has been my worst drug. So I'm willing to take another hit.

To remain free. In a sense. 

Popular Posts