Chattel Interest

Would you forget your past to secure your future?

(You should marinate on that before you proceed).

For me: no. Like countless others, 'the past is what made me.' & I don't mean that it changed different parts of me & I move(d) on (wow, what a revelation...). Every single day, I think about what has occurred in order to get to where I am. I still deal w/a lot of the same obstacles that I dealt w/five & a half years ago. & my perspective on how people are, the way they operate, & why the world is the way that it is, is fueled by my mind that has always worked a particular way. That's another thing I learned & continue to learn about myself. My past isn't just what began to occur nine years ago or the things that proceeded, I was this way since I could remember.

Distant, very sure of myself, paid others no mind, refused to seek their approval. On the contrary, the attention is what I crave(d). But not for acceptance. Never really knew for what. I suppose to alert others that I am here. Whether wanted or not, here is where I will remain.

But what if....?

What if I did, in fact, forget the past. I mean, I have held onto it & still I struggle w/life. I should stop securing my past that's hindering me from progress. Hm. Seems so simple.

Then I think of what my stepmother told me, "You just love The Struggle."

I don't know anymore, man. & I actually know more. But. I don't know..

*Special thanks to Henry for the indirect & open-ended question.

Popular Posts