Converse Block Party

How dope was this event today?

I am sooo happy I sucked it up & decided to go today after work in Carlsbad, fckinCA. I managed to drive half naked (as usual) the entire hour & a half until I realized it would be rather inappropriate to pump my gas w/nothing but my t-shirt & my panties on. Hi, Anita Baker. So I added some jeans that were meant to be for my male cousin (estimated age: 16), & changed into my shirt as I drove off the Chevron on Hawthorne Blvd & Rosecrans.

The sun was shining bright but it was a pleasant warmth (that's what sh-) & many families of all ages showed up. Didn't see too many whites (that was a plus). The diversity arrived & there was nothing but love in the air. Children using the leftover tubs full of ice & water to splash each other while their parents supervised but didn't reprimand; it was a HOT DAY! I smiled often at the faces of many looking around at what was provided. Carne asada tacos, chicken sandwiches, water, Jarritos de Tamarindo, tote bags, towels, beverage chillers, stickers, pictures from the photo booth, information on how to begin preparing your child for college once they enter fifth grade.... all free. Not to mention performances from children (sweet but chose not to listen, since they were all terrible), Thurz [yes, he got the party started !! (Hi Pink!)], Pac Div (uplifted our funk!), Nola Darling (stylish, groovy women) & Stalley [ended the night right, we all left feeling like bawses. Okay, just me ('cause I am one)].

Sure, there was a large amount of security & other forms of authority such as the local police, but I didn't even notice them after they made their exaggerated entrance. I was consumed by the respect that everyone managed to agree upon. I thought about how much money is wasted on trying to have a good time & it being shut down due to conflict & was extremely thankful that no one stirred up any trouble. I also thought about how expensive Rock The Bells has become all for the same bullshit that everyone goes through. So glad I didn't waste money on that. Once it's out of genuine hands & the rest get a taste, it's over.

This whole community was gracious & everyone mattered.

Watts. I felt the beauty of your city today. Thank you.

Popular Posts