The Drive..

Every week I drive at least 8hrs JUST to drop off & pick up my boy. It
used to take a toll on me but now I just appreciate my drive along the
coast, my palm trees, my music & I even dance in the V.

A lot of things go through my mind when driving back to where I'm from.
Such as how much I miss my cities. Yesterday I was driving through
streets I didn't even recognize knowing I'd constantly be on them 2-3
yrs back. Bad experiences made me choose to not go back but now I'm
anxious to retrieve that knowledge back. I mean, when Brooklyn came
through for his 1st trip to Cali, I was able to show him around. I don't
think I'm able to do that today. Everything seems so different to me
now, even the people.

The sense of a community is non-existent. Only the ones chasing after
money, "the scene" & "a good time" remain. So then I think what makes
one want to go back to something that is no longer the same. It can't
just be the memories of what it once was.

Then it arrives. That beautiful reminder of what you fell in love with
in the first place. Creativity, diversity & great conversation w/people
that you've never met before in life. THAT'S what makes my birthplace,
if you ask me. The people that are still lost or think they know
themselves well but are obviously unhappy make the city as well. Without
them, there'd be no need or appreciation for those humble people you've
managed to keep around.

Donny Goines came out to L.A. For the first time. & he loved it. He
mentioned how people aren't as phony as he thought they would be. I was
a bit surprised but he also said, "That's why it's important to have
good people in constant rotation to stay grounded."

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the reminder Donny.

Popular Posts