Hammers & Strings (A Lullaby)

"And my friend calls me up,
She says, how have you been? I say dear I've been well
Yeah, the money's coming but I miss you like hell
I still hear you in this old piano, yeah

"Come on, write me a song, give me something to trust
Just promise you won't let it be, just the keys that you touch

"Give me something to believe in, a breath from the breathing
So write it down, I don't think that I'll close my eyes
'Cause lately I'm not dreaming so what's the point in sleeping?
It's just that at night I've got nowhere to hide

"And my friend calls me up with her heart heavy still
She says Andy the doctor's prescribed me the pills
But I know I'm not crazy, I just lost my will
So why am I, why am I taking them still?

"To the sleepless, this is my reply:
I will write you a lullaby."



Thank you, Jeff.

Popular Posts